This article is about the criminal organization, SCORPIA. You may be looking for the book.
SCORPIA was a terrorist organization whose name stood for: Sabotage, CORruPtion, Intelligence and Assassination. It was run by a board of ex-spies, and the overall head of SCORPIA was Zeljan Kurst.
In the novel Scorpia, the organization gives Julia Rothman the task of commanding Operation Invisible Sword, a scheme involving terahertz beams and poisonous nanoshells. She pretends that she wants Alex Rider to join Scorpia, but instead she plans to kill him (to get back at his father who had double-crossed Scorpia long ago). In Snakehead, Scorpia puts Major Winston Yu in charge of an operation aimed at creating a tsunami off the coast of northwestern Australia. Scorpia returned in the ninth and final novel, Scorpia Rising, in which it tried to blackmail the British government into returning the Elgin Marbles to Greece and was destroyed out of shame of failing yet again to the hands of a mere schoolboy.
There were originally 12 executive members, but two were killed and one died of cancer before the events of SCORPIA.
Original executive board:
- Zeljan Kurst (Yugoslavian) (Arrested)
- Julia Rothman (Welsh) (Deceased)
- Major Winston Yu (half British, half Chinese) (Deceased)
- Max Grendel (British) (Deceased)
- Levi Kroll (Israeli) (Deceased)
- Dr. Three (Chinese)
- Brendan Chase (Australian)
- Mikato (half African, half Japanese)
- Monsieur Duval (French)
- Jason Shackell (half Irish. half Russian)
- 3 Unknown (Deceased)
Executive board members that joined between Snakehead and Scorpia Rising:
- Abdul-Aziz Al-Rahim (Iraqi) (Deceased)
- Seamus (Irish)
- Giovanni Grimaldi (Italian)
- Eduardo Grimaldi (Italian)
- Svetlana Sonday (American) (SCORPIA expert) (Undercover)
Staff at Malagosto:
- John Rider (Undercover) (Deceased)
- Oliver D'Arc (Arrested)
- Eijit Binnag (Arrested)
- Gordon Ross (Arrested)
- Karl Steiner (Arrested)
- Professor Yermalov(Arrested)
- Harold Liebermann (Deceased)
- Yassen Gregorovich (Deceased)
- John Rider (Undercover, Deceased)
- Scorpia Guard (Deceased)
- Ash (Deceased)
- Nile (Deceased)
- Klaus (Arrested)
- Walker (Arrested)
- Amanda (Arrested)
- SCORPIA is very similar to SPECTRE from the James Bond series.
- Herod Sayle got his supply of the R5 virus from SCORPIA, suggesting he had some connection with the organization.
- Harold Liebermann, of Consanto Enterprises, was in charge of creating the nanoshells used in Operation Invisible Sword, but was killed because SCORPIA suspected betrayal.
- SCORPIA owned the island Malagosto, where they trained their future agents on. However, at the end of Scorpia Rising, the island is in Italian hands.